Monday, August 2, 2010

I am not my job

Whenever you meet someone, the inevitable ice breakers are "Where do you live?" and "What do you do?" The former provides a window into someone's personality and the latter gets someone talking about themselves. Except they're not really talking about themselves, but their jobs.

Employees spend at least 40 hours a week at work. That's more time than you spend with your family (at least awake). Who really wants to talk about work when you are trying to enjoy your precious free time?

Being FUNemployed, I am not my job. Because then I'd technically be nothing by these standards. So, I'm experimenting with new ice breakers:

"What's your favorite food?" Everyone's gotta eat so this is universal. Except for anorexics.

"What's your favorite color?" This one garners confusion or amusement. And, one-word answers don't provide a jumping off point for more.

"Have you ever done a cleanse?" Surprisingly fruitful. Best reserved for LA only.

"Do you have any pets?" This is a good one, and self serving since I'm looking for dogs to walk.

When all else fails, "Who's the bigger trainwreck: Lindsay, Britney or Courtney Love?" Ironically, consensus is NOT C. Love. Guess they don't read her tweets.

Have any good ice breakers you want me to try? Hit me with your best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment