Friday, December 3, 2010

Let's Have Some (Food) Fun

Admittedly, I haven't been the best FUNemployed spokeswoman as of late. So, let's turn this around shall  we?

A girl has got to eat. And as I've been rehabbing my eating habits, I've been cooking a lot. I've made kale chips (kinda like potato chips but healthy) and a lentil and potato stew. These were tasty, but my real motivation for eating this way is so that I can allow myself to eat like a fat kid. Specifically, burgers and chicken tenders.

I have been on a mission to find the best burgers LA has to offer. This was a subconscious mission until I was speaking with a gentleman at The Counter in Hollywood. We started talking about burgers around the city and I surprisingly had a lot more to say than he did. He even took my suggestions for his next burger journey (and my phone number).

Right now, I'm obsessed with 8oz Burger Bar and their eponymous burger. They have a happy hour deal that gets you a burger, side and a drink (I think beer) for $15. Steeper than a lot of places but believe me, it's worth it. The rest of my top 4 are: Bowery Burger, 25 Degrees, In 'N Out. But if you have a good suggestion, throw it my way. I'm the Burger Queen. And I must taste.

Chicken tenders is a much lonelier category. I've sampled, dabbled, dipped and swallowed. By far, hands down, the best tenders are at the Tropicana Bar (pool) at the Hollywood Roosevelt. Just the right texture...crispy, not greasy and not stringy. The tenders are delicious when dipped in ranch or by themselves. I wish I had more to offer you in terms of a good tender in LA but, alas, it seems to be an underappreciated menu item. So, hit me up if you've got something. Again, I must taste.

I firmly believe in cooking to be healthy and frugal. But, every now and again, everyone deserves a splurge. What's your food obsession?

No comments:

Post a Comment