Monday, January 24, 2011

The Cheerleader Within

Despite being a blue and gold cheerleader at Bedford Middle School, I can't say too many people would classify me as a cheerleader in life. For many years, I was deeply unhappy and extremely negative. But in my FUNemployment journey, I've been fighting like hell to stay positive. I've been cheering myself on, and increasingly others.

Being positive does not come easily. Everyone has their baggage. Everyone has something bad in their life. There isn't a day that goes by without something to complain about. But everyone has the opportunity to change it.

I find that some negative people think that the world likes to screw them over and so they are owed something because they deserve better. Well, guess what...the world and the universe owe you nothing. You get back what you put out. Because you will always get back what you give. If you're negative, you'll always get negative back. If you complain a lot, you'll get a whole lot more to complain about because the universe thinks you like it. So strive for better. Don't sit around waiting for someone or the universe to give it to you.

I can already hear the objections, "Right. That's easy to say. Clearly you don't understand. I'm different."

Nope. I understand. I've had my bad periods where I feel like things will never get better. I was on antidepressants for years. What's changed for me is that I'm forcing myself to always find the positive in any situation. And it keeps me positive (and medicine free).

I have a job interview on Tuesday for a position that I can honestly say that I really want. In the past, I'd never get anything I really wanted. I always thought I was unlucky. But I've started to think that my own self-doubt and belief that I wasn't worthy did me in. But I have to believe that I not only want this job, but I deserve it. And if I'm the best candidate then I'll get it.

My main message for FUNemployment is to view your layoff as a gift so that you can focus on yourself. The second message is that you have to remain positive. I mean, you can't view it as a gift if you're negative all the time. Like attracts like. So, here's hoping my positivity works for me in my interview tomorrow. I need it desperately. But when I walk in their tomorrow, I'm just going to keep telling myself that I deserve it.

Going back to my cheerleading days, I'm telling myself, "Go, Kerry Go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment