Sunday, May 15, 2011

Prince's Pauper

The book is published (only 27 hours in the upload queue!) so I'm free to have some fun...and write about it. I admit that the blog has been lagging. You can complain, but not blame. Writing a book is all-encompassing. Ready for a little catch-up? First up: seeing Prince in concert at The Forum.

I adored his Purpleness as a little girl and knew all of the words to his songs. Basically, he was my Bieber, except I didn't want to marry him. I wanted to be his BFF so we could share clothes. You see, we're roughly the same height and we both love jumpsuits. I was under his royal spell until he became a symbol. He lost me and I forgot all about him. I only had 1 song in my iPod.

Prince is trying to save The Forum, a theater in Inglewood, CA so he's doing a "21-night stand" of concerts. The majority of tickets are $25 each--no tax, no fees. The only catch is that the shows go on sale on Monday or Tuesday for shows later that week. You need to move quickly to get the best $25 tickets. But it's worth it...opening acts are a surprise and he usually performs for 3 hours. The show is utterly amazing.

He played every song that I loved and my memory pulled the lyrics from the depths of my hippocampus. Raspberry Beret, 1999, Lil Red Corvette, Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, Alphabet Street, Darling Nikki, Delirious.... I turned to my friend, screamed and shook my head at least three times throughout the show. I realized how much I loved Prince and that I had to download my favorite songs. You could say I'm Princ-essed--he's been on repeat for the past week in my car.

The odds are pretty good that I'll go again. I mean how often do you get a chance to see an amazing show for only $25? Plus Chaka Kahn, Whitney Houston (both at the show I was at), Gwen Stefani, Alicia Keys and more.  This is a recession special that's a funky recess must! 

No comments:

Post a Comment