Sunday, November 27, 2011

Job-lash

I was recently stopped in rush hour traffic on the 101 freeway when I was rear ended by a car going 55mph. Just a minute before I was singing my heart out to "Midnight City" by M83 when I needed to hit the brakes. I clenched and said to myself, "Uh oh. 3...2...f$ck." I knew it was coming, but there was little I could do.

Getting laid off and searching for a job can feel like getting rear ended. There's little you can do except to brace for the worst, hope for the best.

Lucky for me, I got a case of whiplash (which is a lot more painful than you think.) I had to sit out the premiere of Leo's new movie "J. Edgar" and have been in the no fun zone until very recently. I realized that despite my pain, I had to get out there, have some fun and generate some positive energy. Negativity breeds like rabbits and can smack you hard, knock you sideways.

No matter how you're feeling, if you're upset by your job search, still frustrated about your layoff, the best thing you can do for yourself is to counter act the negativity and start moving into the positive light. Anything can knock you down at any time. You've got to pick yourself up and live to drive another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment