Sunday, October 30, 2011

Rebel Yell

I've never considered myself a rebel. I was the obedient teacher's pet, the one who did everything right. There was an inner rebel inside, wanting to get out but I fought it. Alcohol helped keep me numb.

It wasn't until my FUNemployment that I started to give the finger to convention. I'd done everything right: studied hard, went to a great college, got a job at the world's biggest ad agency and kept climbing the ladder. The only problem was that I was miserable. Doing everything right didn't feel right.

When I was laid off, it was expected that I'd jump right back into the job market. And believe me, I tried. The universe had other plans for me.

In my FUNemployment, I did a lot of fun things. I got healthy. Most of all, I found my inner voice. I decided that I was going to make the most of the opportunity and step out of my box. I look at writing and completing a book as a major accomplishment. Many people told me I was crazy, inquired about when I'd get a "real" job. Well, I've got one again and I couldn't hate it more.

Once again, I've caved to convention. I regressed after having found my true voice. I quieted my rebel yell and it's dying to get out. It doesn't help that I'm by far the most dynamic personality in a staid, conservative company that have been debating the merits of launching a Facebook page for 18 months. It would drive a lot of people insane. It makes my want to really unleash my inner Che Guevera.

Hey Che, let my writing do my yelling, all the way to my Amazon bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment