Monday, July 18, 2011

The spaghetti's on the wall

In this economy, if you're unemployed and you want to survive, you need ingenuity and flexibility. Wearing lots of hats, sometimes multiple on the same day, is also a must. Result: hat head and static-y hair aside, it's stressful, exhausting and...inspiring.

I recently tallied the number of jobs that I've applied to since my last full-time freelance gig: 506. Number of companies who've expressed interest/interviewed me: 37. Number of offers: 0. I could take it personally. I could think there's something wrong with me. Or I could be at a crossroads. Actually, not a crossroads. The universe could be holding a gigantic invisible forcefield between me and the advertising path. (I've also been trying to go horseback riding for months and every time it falls through. Invisible forcefield #2. Hey Universe, it will make for a good post!)

I can't dwell on the why. I can only keep moving. I apply to jobs daily. And then I work on my freelance project. Or I do publicity for my eBook (if you haven't bought it yet....Just Do It. Links are to your left). Publicity is a full time job. There are some exciting interviews in the can that I'm hoping will start a snowball reaction. I've also done some guest blogging which is pretty cool. I may have the chance to write an article soon too...which would be good. I also completed a secret writing project which I loved doing and of which I can't wait to do more. Technically, I'm employed by no one but I have 4 jobs. I just need them (or 1) to start being lucrative.

I don't know what my future holds but instead of being frustrated, I'm feeling excited. I know what I want to do but I also know what makes the most sense. All I know is that I'm throwing a lot of spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment