Monday, March 14, 2011

Three Lines, 2 Wrist Bands and 1 Heater

Last week, I stepped up my social game. I went to the premiere party for a web series, the super secret Lykke Li show at Sky Bar, Shepard Fairey's art opening and a TV writers' panel. I waited in line at all but the first, the middle two made me wear wrist bands and the art opening had me shivering underneath 1 working outdoor heater.

The web series premiere party for Foodies was on Tuesday night and there was little drama other than on the screen. Easy to get in, free, no lines or wrist bands and it was warm. It was also over in little more than an hour. If you want to see ridiculous LA dinner parties (and a dig about my hometown of Westport, CT) then this is the show for you.

The Lykke Li show, in contrast, was a monumental, drama filled extravaganza. As the only FUNemployed person in the group, I took point on getting in the line. It was guest list only which worked since we've been on the list since January. Upon arrival, I learned that wrist bands were being distributed and they could not be saved for others. I started sweating since the 2 other people were not there yet. In the end, after lots of drama, wrist band wrist slippage (I'm the expert) and flirting with the door bouncer, we had comfy seats on a couch. The free show was intimate, the setting beautiful and the performance amazing.

Next up was the free Shepard Fairey art opening. If you don't know him, he is the street artist whose most famous work is "OBEY" with Andre The Giant's image. I'm not a huge fan of his work but like art parties. There was a huge line to get in, wrist bands mandatory and Dave Navarro. I smuggled my way in by befriending an intoxicated man with a wristband (shortly after sliding by security, I literally ran into Dave Navarro). The space was tiny (as is Dave) so I ended up outside again listening to the band called Metalachi, a hybrid metal and mariachi band. That's when I met the heater. It was chilly, I didn't have a jacket so I camped out with my new best friend. At one point, I leaned back, put my leg up and pretended to be a stripper. Camera flash. That's a photo for the ages.

Lastly, I went to a TV writers' panel. After waiting in a mellow line, we sat and listened to 2 super successful writers, one medium successful and one relatively new to the business. It was fascinating to hear what they had to say. And inspirational. I woke up today with a renewed focus on finishing the book. They all talked about the self-loathing process of writing which is something that I've felt A LOT. It was good to hear that even super successful writers have days where they tell themselves that they have no business doing what they're doing.

3 (lines), 2 (wrist bands, 1 orange, 1 lime green), 1 (heater): I've got a new fire burning in me. For writing, not from the heater.

No comments:

Post a Comment